Notes on MITBCA 2013
There’s only one thing which I’d really like to say today, but before that, let’s go over what happened in the past few months. No, this is not one of those self-indulgent, ME ME ME posts, I can assure you that.
So this is what happened recently:
1. I quit my job.
2. I packed up and travelled.
3. I wrote some stuff and sent it out.
4. To my complete bewilderment, people liked what I wrote.
5. To my complete shock, people wanted me to write some more.
6. I was then invited to speak at the Malaysian International Travel Bloggers Conference and Awards. I wasn’t sure, I had something on that week, so I said no.
7. I decided to say Hokay then, yes, I’ll be able to say a few words.
8. On March 5th, I spoke a little about my overland trip but mostly about good writing which inspires, about telling stories about travel. About not focusing too much on yourself when you write but perhaps looking at other people for stories. About telling readers how you feel.
9. I made a lot of new friends, learnt a great deal at the event and generally had a lot of fun. The best thing, though? That I met some of my readers [yes, apparently I have them]. It is always, always a pleasure to meet people who read you, not because I need reassuring (ohh, okay then, I do) but seriously, it’s just wonderful to connect with your readers. It really is.
10. I woke up today.
I got up this morning, saw my speaker’s tag for the conference and the plaque/token of appreciation/very heavy souvenir I received for speaking, and felt good about it.
Something is at play here; all the things that have happened to me in the past few months and especially after I decided to throw in the towel have blown me away. This year has been amazing so far and I’m so thankful for it.
So if this isn’t a ‘yay me’ sort of piece, what on earth am I trying to say then? Exactly what I said here, that everyone should do what makes them happy.
If there is something, anything, which has been calling out to you and makes your heart soar, do it. Because when you do, things will happen, doors will open and opportunities will present themselves to you.
Now go out and have a good day.
© 2013 – 2014, Anis. All rights reserved.